Let’s Talk Anime: -Figure Collecting-

Like all great anime fans you want to collect some of the stuff that gets made for the anime or manga. You grab the shirts, the backpacks, the purse’s, the posters and the key-chain goodies. There is one more bit of manufactured goods. You have the ever delightful figures. Now, figure collecting is often seen one of two ways… You are a compulsive Otaku or you like the more… flashy ones. There is a very strong stigma towards the collection of anime figures, especially the ones on the lewd side of the fence. However, there are collectors like friends I know and myself, who enjoy the figure collecting on the more tame and ‘normal’ side. We like the cute little nendoroids or the more normal taller figures. There is nothing wrong with the swimsuit model, just be mindful that some figures can get rather… out there. I’m talking to you Kojima and your squish-able breasts on your Quiet figure. But what makes collecting these figures appealing? Well, there are a few reasons.

261990673131_1_0_1One reason is, if we love the series then we will be more than willing to spend a bit of money on that said product. It’s what any good fan does. Take for example my love for Kill La Kill, I got many wall scrolls, wallet and figure that are Trigger branded. We support our favorite shows the best we can, in hopes that money well spent, ends up in the right hands at the end of the day’s transactions. Another reason is just for the love of the figures themselves. A lot of these figures are amazingly detailed and are a joy to look at! Think of them as figures you would buy at American stores or baseball or sports figures but just, anime. The joy of having something from a topic or show that you love is something that is pretty cool and awesome! The other aspect is that you have an immense amount of choice when it comes to picking out a type of figure. You of course have the standard sized ones that we are all familiar with and then you have the wildly popular Figma and Nendoroid figures that seem to be all the rage these days. They are pose-able and customize-able, often coming with several different faces or accessories that can change their mood or action.

117506While not a cheap hobbies by any means, it is a hobby that fills a lot of people with joy at the ability to be able to complete a collection of figures and display them so that others can appreciate them as well. I currently have three figures with a fourth on the way. While I personally do not have any pictures posted, I may share them at a later date since, I absolutely love the figures that I currently own. How big of a collection one has really is dependent on how much they are willing to invest. If you want to get datlof shelving, then you may have to invest a couple hundred in housing the figures you have, it is why so many people often shy away from figure collecting as a whole, not to mention there is a bit of maintenance associated with them all as well. Now, like I stated earlier, there is a lot of stigma tied to those who collect these sort of figures as a great quantity of figures often represent the, flashy side of the anime world and often give others the wrong impression. How does one remedy that? To be honest, it isn’t something that I know too much about myself, since I am fairly new to the collecting world.

So, do you all own any figures? If so, what are some of your favorite ones or ones that you wish to be able to get! If you already have some, feel free to share them below! As always comment on both here or our twitter page and let us know what you think!

Advertisements

33 Comments Add yours

1. Matthew says:

I would like to collect anime figures but they are always expensive. I think the only model I have is Exodia Necros from the Yu-Gi-Oh! Series.

1. Kausus says:

It is expensive and I only do it really sparingly. It’s been almost 5 months since my last figure purchase.

1. Matthew says:

Wow that is interesting. If I ever start a figure collection, I want to start with One Piece figures and collect some nendoroids.

2. Kausus says:

Good area to look at! Considering how big One Piece is, you wouldn’t have an issue collecting for it.

3. Matthew says:

True they are popular. I bet series like Attack on Titan, Sword Art Online, Kill la Kill will make you pay an arm and a leg to just own at least a figure.

4. Kausus says:

Nah, they are all priced the same. Some limited ones however, like the Kill La Kill nendoroids are insanely priced.

5. Matthew says:

I did not know that. How can a tiny thing be worth such a fortune?

6. Kausus says:

monetary value my friend. If they feel it’s worth xyz, then it’s worth xyz, sadly.

7. Matthew says:

Yeah you make point. At least the money spent will help the companies make more and you are showing support to the anime.

8. Kausus says:

In deed good sire. In deed.

9. Matthew says:

If I am desperate for a figure, I am gonna resort to eBay and start searching XD

10. Kausus says:

Best way to do it! But do be careful for bootlegs and missing parts, especially with the nendoroids.

11. Matthew says:

Yikes I forgot about that. What is also worse is that not even I can tell if something is real or fake. Maybe I should just stick to official websites.

12. Kausus says:

There are some pretty in-depth guides on how to spot the boot legs. It is hard but it is do-able to see somethings.

13. Matthew says:

Interesting. I think I heard some old reports of bootleg One Piece figures. Such as packaging or the way the figure’s position.

14. Matthew says:

I don’t remember fully but I heard from a news article from Crunchyroll of a person getting arrested of selling bootleg version of Boa Hancock, a character from the One Piece. I think it mentioned that you can remove the top clothing.

15. Kausus says:

That is one thing you have to be careful about in the figure market. You have figures, and of course nendoroids, that have removable bits but not everything is removable. So, it gets a little complex at times.

16. Matthew says:

You are indeed correct. The cool thing about the nendoroids is not they look cute but you can mess around with the positions and they don’t take up space.

17. Matthew says:

Where do you recommend to buy nendoroids or other figures?

18. Kausus says:

otakumode.com, Crunchyroll’ store or amiami.

19. Matthew says:

Thanks, you’re the best. I gotta check it out once I get some free time.

2. Ruki says:

Man, I’m too poor for this.

Liked by 4 people

1. Kausus says:

It’s why you buy like one every year or two years. You might come out decently.

1. Ruki says:

I would probably buy some too if I wasn’t living in fucking Romania.

Ya feel me?

2. Ruki says:

Oh, come on. You don’t allow html in comments?
        I was talking about this.

3. Kausus says:

Hey I didn’t chose those settings :p I’ll have to adjust them when I get home.

3. krystallina says:

I have some figures, and although I love them, I’d rather buy manga. Right now I’m collecting the Sailor Moon Figuarts. I had to get them because the whole gang and not just the main five.

1. Kausus says:

I understand. : 3 They do have some aweoms figures for Sailor Moon!

Liked by 1 person

4. I’ve only got two figures: Mami and Kurisu Nendoroids. I mean, I do have this tiny stand figure for Saori (Oreimo), a Petanko Irisviel, and 4 itty bitty Railgun figures, but that’s pretty much it. I vent all of my funds towards buying anime. Gotta stock these dusty shelves one way or another :3

5. Khelek says:

Oh man, too much money spent on Figmas. Shame and pride battle equally every time I look at my collection. d ^.^ b

6. mirrorpurple says:

I have really bad monetary management… Just look at all the waifus i bought.